Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve 2008

I cannot believe how fast this year flew by! This will be the first New Year's Eve that Jim and I have spent alone. Well, mainly alone. I will be picking up Alyssa and FIVE friends from a dance at 12:45 a.m. for a sleepover here. I really don't mind having them here-selfish reason I guess...less worrying for me! Kylie is having a sleepover with Steffi and Jordan at Jordan's house. They were playing Wii, last I heard.

Being alone is a bittersweet feeling. The quiet, low-key evening will be nice but when did the girls, MY BABIES, grow up? I know it is cliche but it seems like just yesterday, they needed help doing everything...now they would rather do most things on their own. It is a new life for Jim and I as we will have to learn to have a conversation with each other again. So much of our lives has been ALL about the kids that we will have to learn to like each other again. Should be interesting!

I am, shall we say, attempting to cook a prime rib roast for dinner. I say 'attempting' because I have never done it before nor do I know anything about choosing one from the grocery store so this will be an experiment, to say the least. I am comfortable baking most things but as for my ability in cooking main dishes or "real" food, I am not very adventurous nor very good. But hey, that's what is great about starting a new year...time to try new and different things. I can try to be more adventurous (in the kitchen anyway) in 2009.

I am not much into making resolutions, mainly because I make the some one(s) each year. You know the ones? Vowing to lose that weight you've been trying to lose for 16+ years, eating healthier and exercising more. It's kind of like saying you'll start a diet on Monday only to screw it up by lunch and then put it off until the following Monday. Why do I do that?

Well, this year (2009), I am going to try to take it one day at a time and celebrate each day (not with food). I am NOT going to hurry through the weeks dreaming only of the weekends and dreading Mondays. After working 7 days a week for the last 2 years and 8 months, I am going to try and enjoy all the 'free' time I have with my family, friends, etc. I am going to focus more on what I have rather than what I don't have. And lastly, I am going to focus on trying to improve myself rather than focusing on the faults of others. I am not perfect as anybody who knows me will tell you. I am going to try and be more tolerant of others and try to see the best in everybody!

I guess those are resolutions in a way, but I already know that I will not succeed 100% in any area. However, I am going to try. And maybe, just maybe, 5 years from now (or hopefully less) I will be a better person. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment