Thursday, January 1, 2009





I just found this picture on a cd I had before I learned how to upload my photos straight from my camera. (Actually I was not uploading them because I thought it would slow down our computer but I have since had it worked on and more memory added so hopefully it will continue to work well.) This is Alyssa and her best friend, Kona Mocha. She is almost 2 years old and she is a great dog/member of our family.


My best friend, Lulu Belle is in our family pictured posted above. Kona thinks she is a lap dog but didn't quite fit into our picture. We have another 4-legged family member, Peek-a-boo. She has been in our family nearly 15 years! She is a black lab mix and was a stray that we adopted when some friends of ours had to move for work. I am sad today because I am facing reality that I will have to call the vet tomorrow and get Peek in for a visit. I realize she is old and we have been fortunate to have her for such a long time. I also know that I have been in denial regarding her health. She has been having a hard time getting up and she no longer does the stairs but there are times when she still acts like a puppy. She went out in the front yard while the girls were sledding and was running around like she was still a young thing BUT she has been urinating in her sleep AND has even pooped while walking as though she had no idea she was even doing this. Well, obviously I will see if the vet can do something for her but I am also facing the reality that her life with us may soon be over. I cannot leave her outside all night during the winter but I cannot have her going all over our house either. We went through this about 2 years ago with a 17 or 18 year old cat, Sam. Unfortunately, just like people, organs stop working the way they should. Sam was in kidney failure. And while we tried to save her (they put her on an IV-dialysis for cats), it did not work.


My greatest fear is how Alyssa will react to the inevitable news that will come sooner or later. Alyssa is 16 1/2 years old so Peek has been a HUGE part of her life. While we will all be sad, it is Alyssa I worry about the most. Alyssa's best friend has always been one with 4 legs. Apparently she learned earlier than most that a dog's love (or other pet) is unconditional...unlike some people in this life. Alyssa is also dog's best friend! She absolutely loves animals. When she was in grade school at Indian Hills, dogs would actually follow her home. They just knew that she would take them in or at the very least, pet them. We have kept several dogs in our home for a night or two until we found the rightful owner. EVERY time though, Alyssa would ask if we could keep them if nobody claimed them. Fortunately for us, they were always claimed. We have told her many times that she will need to have several acres outside the city limits to have room for the all of the pets she will inevitably adopt.


Alyssa's big heart for animals is just as large with humans. Although she could have done better in grade school (with regards to her school work and grades), she was a friend to everyone. In fact, I asked her one day after school how her day was and who she played with, etc. She answered that she played with ...(can't remember his name) because he had nobody to play with. How many young children actually notice things like that? Let's just say that as a parent, I could not have been more proud of her. If we had more people like that in this world, it would definitely be a better place in which to live!

No comments:

Post a Comment